Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Colombiana Connection

As Katie gets older she is starting to appreciate more our trips to Colombia, especially since she had so much fun in Barranquilla this past trip.
As you know I am Colombian, and so is her younger brother Joey and my mom (who takes care of them), so she has plenty of Colombian culture surrounding her but nowadays I see her noticing more her skin color (mom I am brown like you and not white like dad) and I think she's still a bit confused with the skin color deal, here is an excerpt from a conversation between her and her dad
Dad: I speak Spanish
K:​ No dad, you can't Speak Spanish because you're white, you're not Colombian
Dad: But your grandma Ita (my mom) is white and she IS Colombian and she only speaks Spanish
K: oh....
Katie loves music and dancing so we watched some Shakira videos and I told her she was Colombian... and I pointed out how she says in Spanish in one of her songs "Let me see you move like you come from Colombia" and "In Barranquilla we dance like this" and she was SOOOO HAPPY!!  As you now know many members of my family live in Barranquilla so we were there just this past January, I could see Katie's chest to puff with pride when she would hear the words "Colombia" and "Barranquilla" and I could feel my eyes getting all watery... I could feel a little Latina-Colombiana connection going on between the two of us... dancing to the Latin beats... I loved it!
 
And speaking of dancing… Joe also has his moves! Here is a fun video of them dancing this weekend!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment