Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Home

After spending most of my day in pajamas I didn’t think I would have much to write, but then Paul, Katie and I went to the Prager listeners group meeting where we were received with the usual warm, then our friend (I won't say his name since I know he's touchy with privacy issues) who was actually the founder of the group stood up to give his farewell since he’s moving far far away

His speech was about this family that immigrated to America before the USA was founded, he went down the family line till he got to his grandfather, and it was sweet, I’m always interested in genealogy since for several reasons I don’t know further than my grandparents, then he said my name, what? Why me? And he explained how we both shared the same immigrant roots, his were longer (obviously) than mine which has just started but we were equally Americans. That was very nice, it totally makes my point of why I moved here and why I think this is the greatest country on Earth, where else is an immigrant like me is embraced by the locals the way I have been? Having half my family in Spain I can tell you for sure nowhere in Europe.
Then he pulled out this gift that gave me the chills, it was a Texan flag, he explained that it was because I'm now a Texan, which flew over the Alamo, yes “The Alamo”, on the very same day I got my citizenship. What an awesome gift!
Here is the certificate that came with the flag:
Wow! That totally made my day, which by the way, didn’t finish there.

On the way home Paul and I were driving different cars, I was in the SUV with Katie when this awful wind started blowing everything off, I kept holding as strongly as I could the wheel because the wind seemed to be taking over the SUV, there were lightings and then two electrical transformers just blew, throwing sparks over the road, I was trying to keep my cool, telling myself I was inside a Faraday cage, but it is harder when you have your daughter in the car.  The kids music in the background wasn’t helping since it all seemed to me like the usual horror movie when something bad is happening while children music is playing. I knew I was really freaked out when I found myself praying, I mean, I can deal with strong rain and lighting, that’s usual where I come from, but tornado-like winds? Hell no! My hometown is surrounded by huge mountains! Right by our development’s gates there was a motorcycle smashed into a tree, apparently the driver lost control with the wind, and I sure hope he’s fine.
So right now I’m glad to be home where I’m protected from the wind and my daughter is safely sleeping in her crib and I’m more than glad that my home is in the glorious United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment