Tuesday, October 5, 2010

On The News...

I just read this article in Colombia's national newspaper http://www.eltiempo.com/colombia/oriente/bebe-abandonado-en-piedecuesta_8052621-1  it talks about a newborn baby who was found in a bag in the street's of Piedecuesta (Bucaramanga's metropolitan area) The baby had his umbilical cord still attached and was taken to the university hospital where he was declared a healthy baby and was named Angel because it is a miracle that he's alive, ICBF will start the process to find his bio-family or put him for adoption.

When I was waiting for a referral I used to check on this news and wonder if that little "Angel" would be my baby, after all we had our hearts and home ready to receive a child.  But at the same time in the back of my head I hoped our child wouldn't have a story so hard to tell, I mean, how do you sugar-coat that kind of abandonment? One as parent would have to do a lot of research to find out that the baby might have been wrapped in a blankie and covered by plastic bags as shelter for the rain; newspapers need to sell so they make everything tougher… but even though, that's hard to explain.

Thanks God Katie's story is just of a loving mother who took care of her during her firsts months of life but figured that she didn't have the means to give her the minimum so she made what I think was the toughest decision of her life and gave her to a family (us) who would love her and give her the best that we can.

Before I knew anything about adoption I wondered what would happen with babies like Angel and I felt bad as I thought they would grow old without a family, I used to think it was nice that there were people willing to take a baby even if he/she wasn't born to them, somehow I imagined the offices of ICBF crowded with babies waiting for families, but now I know that the story is the other way round, the offices of ICBF are crowded with prospective parents who are awaiting for a little Angel to join their families forever, to bring them all the joy, the love, the sweetness, the pride, the tenderness, and the huge blessing of being a parent.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment