Katie has been in the US for the last five months and she’s been embracing her new culture with the same easiness that she adapted to us; here are some of the signs I’ve noticed:
• Language: her English is getting better and even though she still says more words in Spanish we can tell that she’s widening her vocabulary at an amazing pace, and even though we cannot tell if she completely understands everything we say in either language (no baby talk at home) we know she knows for sure the meaning of : hi, bye, blow a kiss, and she doesn’t say “leche” but “milk”.
• Food: Even though she still likes her “Sopas” she’s starting to like more of the American side of food, papa has made sure she eats spicy stuff (unlike her mom) and she loves pizza.
• Lifestyle: In Colombia not everybody has a car, so at least in my humble family it is a treat for the kids to go out on a car ride; here in TX you have to drive everywhere so for Katie getting in the car is everything but a treat. Also, she thinks there are endless supplies of food that come out of the pantry, she just points at it like saying go get me more.
• Music: On her list of favorite songs ever “Los Pollitos” has been moved down from number 1 by “If you’re happy and you know it”
All of this makes us happy, you know that I’m very proud of being born and raised in Colombia, and I’m making sure that I pass that down to my little angel, but I also love this country and I want to make sure she won’t let anyone put a label on her trying to define who she is because of where, how or to whom she was born, she is an American and, as all of you know, we Americans can be everything and anything we set our minds to become, the sky is not the limit.

No comments:
Post a Comment