Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Motherhood / Maternidad (Version en Espanol al final)



Motherhood


I haven’t written about how that word has been sinking on me. Probably because it still feels awkward, I never though of myself as a good “mother material”, but here I am, learning how to do it from my baby daughter, learning how to be exhausted, yet happy. This moment, right now, is the only moment in the day I have to myself, yet I love every single moment with her.  

I do love that she she’s such good sleeper but I time every single one of her naps because I want to play with her, get another smile, another little clap, another babble and more than anything else, another opportunity to put her in my chest so she falls asleep again.

I’ve learned to be more patient, to know that if she gets grumpy and screams of the top of her lungs is not because she wants to be mean but because that’s her way of communicating, I’ve learned to laugh at myself after having a baby spitting food all over my clothes because she doesn’t want anymore, I’ve learned that I’m not the center of attention anymore and be cool with it, I’ve learned that no matter how many laundry I do in a day there will be double the next, I’ve learned to keep my friends close and my wipes even closer.

More than anything, I’ve learned that I have a lot more to learn, to ask for advice, to pray for wisdom and to be thankful for everything my mommy gave me, because I know I’ll never pay her back, my payback will be raising Katie to be a good mother. To be what my mom always wanted me to be, a decent woman, useful to my family, myself and my society. 


Maternidad


No había escrito sobre cómo me he sentido con esa palabra, quizá porque aun se siente raro, nunca pensé que yo tuviera “buen material de madre” pero aquí estoy, aprendiendo de mi hija a como ser mama, aprendiendo a como estar exhausta pero feliz. 

Este momento, ahora mismo, es el único momento del día que tengo para mi misma, pero me encanta cada momento con ella. Me gusta que ella duerma tan bien pero le cronometro cada una de sus siestas porque quiero jugar con ella, recibir otra sonrisa, otra palmita, otro balbuceo y más que cualquier otra cosa, otra oportunidad para ponerla en mi pecho para que se vuelva a dormir.

He aprendido a ser más paciente, a saber que si ella esta de mal genio y grita a todo pulmón no es porque quiera ser mala, sino porque esa es su manera de comunicarse, he aprendido a reírme de mí misma cuando tengo compota escupida en toda mi ropa porque ella no quiere comer mas, he aprendido aceptar el hecho que ya no soy el centro de atención, he aprendido que no importa cuánta ropa lave en un día, habrá el doble el siguiente día, he aprendido a mantener a mis amigos cercanos y mi pañitos aún más cerca.

Más que nada, he aprendido que tengo mucho más que aprender, a pedir consejos, a pedirle a Dios sabiduría y a estar agradecida por todo lo que mi mamá me dio, porque sé que nunca se lo voy a poder pagar, la manera de devolver su inversión será criar a Katalina para que sea una buena madre. Para que sea lo que mi mamá siempre quiso que yo fuera una mujer decente, útil a mi familia, mi sociedad y a mi misma.

3 comments:

  1. Maternidad is a beautiful thing indeed. It changes us in ways we never thought possible. Congratulations again you guys are doing great! Your post took me back to my first days of motherhood, scared, thankful and completely in love. The laundry comment had me cracking up! - Can't wait to do it all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolina: me encantó! Tal cual uno está exhausto, y la vez absolutamente feliz. Es un amor indescriptible!
    Un abrazo, me encantan las fotos! Katie esta cada día mas linda!

    ReplyDelete