I think it is appropriate to write this post as I’m getting ready to leave the USA. Yes, I’m FINALLY flying to Colombia, although we won’t get our daughter until March 15th, I just decided to fly earlier to take care of some stuff.
Now back to my story, this is how my citizenship ceremony went. The feeling is amazing, it is comparable to the day I got my Engineering Degree, is one of pride and accomplishment.
First I got the Auditorium 2 hours earlier than the ceremony they checked our paperwork and lined us up in special locations, while I was waiting in line I got to talk to two amazing individuals, a guy from Iran and a lady from Pakistan, they both shared with me the happiness and pride to become Americans, the guy from Iran told me he waited in line for 12 years to get to come to the US and then waited 6 years to become a citizen, he told me about the terrible regime in Iran and how he appreciated the freedom in this Country, the same with the Pakistani lady, she told me how she came to the USA with her husband and she appreciated how in her own words “even though I’m a woman, I can say what I think and my opinion is taken into account and I know I won’t get in trouble”.
Here are my two new fellow-citizens.
While we waited for the ceremony to start, I started to see familiar faces, the first one was my co-worker Bob, who took time off work to film my ceremony, and Monday first thing, he gave me the edited DVD. OMG! Can you see why I’m so in love with this country? Because of its people!!!
Then I saw my friend Juli, walking down the aisle with this beautiful flower bouquet, it definitely was like when you get flowers at the office, I was like, what? You didn’t get flowers? Sorry… haha.
Next I saw Leslie, who didn’t stay for the final photo, but I dearly appreciate her being there because her son gave her life so I could enjoy the freedom of being an American. Leslie, you’re amazing.
The ceremony started, and I was looking everywhere for Paul, not just because he’s my biggest cheerleader but because he promised to bring me lunch, forget about it, it is time to say the pledge of allegiance.
During the heartwarming ceremony I got text updates from Paul, he was there, with the pizza, and he was sitting next to Johana who came with her two-year-old daughter Sophia who behaved like an angel, also Barbara H. and Jim & Jane T were there. Now I was officially the person with the biggest cheering group!!! Yippee!!!
Once the ceremony was ended we exchanged a couple of words (I devoured my pizza) Barbara gave me a cute necklace with the American Flag which I have been proudly wearing ever since and my husband had the cutest hand made card (because he knows I prefer them to the ones you buy) and the nicest flower bouquet.
Thanks to all of you guys for coming, thanks for all the nice comments in person and in Facebook, and more than anything, thanks for welcoming in your country with open arms and becoming my American Family.
No comments:
Post a Comment